From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing gentoo with a systemd profile
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 02:04:43
1 On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 8:00 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > I am installing gentoo on a new laptop. I am a gnome, hence systemd,
4 > user. I also use lvm (I have / and /usr combined on a non-lvm partition).
5 >
6 > At the point where you choose a profile
7 > (//
8 wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Choosing_the_right_profile
9 )
10 > I selected
11 > [5] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd *
12 >
13 > But now I get merge conflicts since I have sys-fs/udev installed.
14 > I can't depclean udev.
15 >
16 > Should I have just used the default/linux/amd64/13.0 profile
17 > and switched later after the installation is complete.
18 >
19 > Fortunately, I don't need to used the new machine immediately so I don't
20 > mind starting the installation over from the beginning
21 >
22 > In a similar vein, my systems have PORTDIR=/var/portage. Am I correct
23 > in now believing that it is better to do the install with the default
24 > PORTDIR=/usr/portage and then switching after the dust settles
25
26 What I usually do is:
27
28 1. Extract the stage 3 tarball
29 2. Sync the portage tree
30 3. Switch to the systemd profile
31 4. emerge -uDNvp world (this usually solves the systemd/udev conflicts)
32 5. emerge --depclean
33 6. Switch to the GNOME/systemd profile
34 7. Emerge gnome-base/gnome
35
36 In my experience, if you switch directly to the GNOME/systemd profile, you
37 get many conflicts.
38
39 Regards.
40 --
41 Canek Peláez Valdés
42 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias