From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] installing gentoo with a systemd profile
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 01:01:10
1 I am installing gentoo on a new laptop. I am a gnome, hence systemd,
2 user. I also use lvm (I have / and /usr combined on a non-lvm partition).
3
4 At the point where you choose a profile
5 (//wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Choosing_the_right_profile)
6 I selected
7 [5] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd *
8
9 But now I get merge conflicts since I have sys-fs/udev installed.
10 I can't depclean udev.
11
12 Should I have just used the default/linux/amd64/13.0 profile
13 and switched later after the installation is complete.
14
15 Fortunately, I don't need to used the new machine immediately so I don't
16 mind starting the installation over from the beginning
17
18 In a similar vein, my systems have PORTDIR=/var/portage. Am I correct
19 in now believing that it is better to do the install with the default
20 PORTDIR=/usr/portage and then switching after the dust settles
21
22 thanks,
23 allan