From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg worked! Minor issues....Thanks, Gentoo
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 19:48:42
1 dnlt0hn5ntzhbqkv51 wrote:
2 > 1. The emerge stoped at one point because the uninstall failed to remove
3 > an obscure library (perhaps /var/lib/xkb ? sorry, I should have noted
4 > it). But emerge identified the directory and told me to delete it. A
5 > restart allowed successful completion.
6
7 This directory was formerly under configuration protection so we have to
8 tell the user to delete it manually.
9
10 > 2. Before starting, I renamed /etc/X11 to /etc/X11old so that any
11 > accumulated junk would be out of the picture, and so that the new
12 > xorg.conf.example file would be clean. Heh, it doesn't build a new
13 > xorg.conf.example file, so I copied over the old file and everything
14 > worked - except for the rgb file.
15
16 Yeah, there's a bug for this -- modular X currently lacks a rule to
17 create it.
18
19 > 3. My first xmessage complained of not understanding "black". So I
20 > emerged rgb, edited the xorg.conf file, and repointed it.
21 >
22 > RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
23
24 You should be able to comment out RgbPath
25
26 > 4. I routinely use xterm, xmessage, and xkill - all needed to be
27 > emerged. Problem here was that eix and eix -S didn't find them, but
28 > emerge did.
29
30 Perhaps you haven't regenerated eix's cache lately?
31
32 > 5. revdep-rebuild found the missing libXaw.so.8, but crashed during
33 > re-emergence (bad order, and something else that I did not understand).
34 > So I emerged them one at a time in a different order, and everything
35 > worked except for the kde office applications.
36
37 If you just want the libXaw.so.8 back, emerge libXaw with USE=xprint.
38
39 Thanks for your detailed report,
40 Donnie