From: dnlt0hn5ntzhbqkv51 <dnlt0hn5ntzhbqkv51@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xorg worked! Minor issues....Thanks, Gentoo
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 17:18:06
1 It just plain worked!
2
3 Emerge even identified -only- my drivers (mouse, keyboard, etc.) before I
4 scanned xorg.conf.
5
6 Minor problems:
7
8 1. The emerge stoped at one point because the uninstall failed to remove
9 an obscure library (perhaps /var/lib/xkb ? sorry, I should have noted it).
10 But emerge identified the directory and told me to delete it. A restart
11 allowed successful completion.
12
13 2. Before starting, I renamed /etc/X11 to /etc/X11old so that any
14 accumulated junk would be out of the picture, and so that the new
15 xorg.conf.example file would be clean. Heh, it doesn't build a new
16 xorg.conf.example file, so I copied over the old file and everything
17 worked - except for the rgb file.
18
19 3. My first xmessage complained of not understanding "black". So I emerged
20 rgb, edited the xorg.conf file, and repointed it.
21
22 RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
23
24 4. I routinely use xterm, xmessage, and xkill - all needed to be emerged.
25 Problem here was that eix and eix -S didn't find them, but emerge did.
26
27 5. revdep-rebuild found the missing libXaw.so.8, but crashed during
28 re-emergence (bad order, and something else that I did not understand). So
29 I emerged them one at a time in a different order, and everything worked
30 except for the kde office applications.
31
32 6. kde office applications depend upon kde 3.4, which I no longer have -
33 and revdep pointed this out :-) . This obviously is not an xorg issue, but
34 rather an emerge issue; allowing me to unemerge 3.3 and 3.4 a month ago,
35 while still having a need for their libraries if I need to recompile the
36 office stuff.
37
38 But I'm "guessing" that the office "libraries", available in portage, will
39 fix this. But I don't care right now, as the programs (e.g. word, spread)
40 work fine without recompiling. :-)
41
42 So thank you to Gentoo the Developers - another successful plan and
43 instructions on your part, that worked just fine for newbies like me!
46 ..
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list