From: Per-Erik Westerberg <per-erik.westerberg@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:54:16
1 On ons, 2010-09-08 at 17:40 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 17:24 on Wednesday 08 September 2010, Grant
3 > Edwards did opine thusly:
4 >
5 > > > Since 16:9 panels are the same shape as the ones TVs use, I assume
6 > > > that's why they are cheaper and why the industry prefers them.
7 > >
8 > > I thought about that, but the sizes and pixel densities don't overlap
9 > > at all between laptop panels and TV panels, so I don't see how they
10 > > can be leveraging production processes or equipment.
11 >
12 > The intent is probably more that the picture will visually appear the same
13 > whether you view it on a laptop, HD TV or widescreen monitor.
14 >
15 > Which raises another layer of confusion: when a spec says "16:9" does it mean
16 > physical dimensions, or pixel density? I've yet to find a device that clearly
17 > states *how* it arrived at the numbers it quotes in it's spec.
21 I guess it is the relation between horizontal versus vertical dimension,
22 it shouldn't matter what the pixel density is ... or does it?
23
24 / P-E