From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: advice sought on new laptop for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:40:52
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 17:24 on Wednesday 08 September 2010, Grant
2 Edwards did opine thusly:
3
4 > > Since 16:9 panels are the same shape as the ones TVs use, I assume
5 > > that's why they are cheaper and why the industry prefers them.
6 >
7 > I thought about that, but the sizes and pixel densities don't overlap
8 > at all between laptop panels and TV panels, so I don't see how they
9 > can be leveraging production processes or equipment.
10
11 The intent is probably more that the picture will visually appear the same
12 whether you view it on a laptop, HD TV or widescreen monitor.
13
14 Which raises another layer of confusion: when a spec says "16:9" does it mean
15 physical dimensions, or pixel density? I've yet to find a device that clearly
16 states *how* it arrived at the numbers it quotes in it's spec.
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com