From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD RX GPU in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 19:21:16
1 On Tue, Jun 11, 2019, at 10:56, Emmanuel Vasilakis wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > So, assuming I would get an RX550/560 card, how well do the amdgpu
5 > drivers (open source) work? Are they ok for steam games? Do they provide
6 > KMS (switching to a Ctrl+Alt+F1 is always garbled now). ? Are they
7 > completely tear free?
8
9 They work pretty well for me. I have an RX 570 (and a Ryzen 5 1600), works great for the most part but in all honesty it did take me a while to find a stable kernel. I'm not sure if that's due to the CPU or the GPU, or just me not knowing what I'm doing.
10
11 All I play is CS:GO, which runs very well. I've played a bit of Rust too, which also works well.
12
13 > Plus, my current GT730 is passively cooled. Are there any RX cards that
14 > at least spin down the fans when I'm working on desktop (no
15 > plasma/gnome, simple Openbox with no heavy gpu requirements). I really
16 > like silence! :-)
17
18 I can't hear mine at all right now.
19