From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nice level for X11
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 09:23:42
1 On Thursday 15 May 2008, Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
2 > I know X runs always as root. But setting the X server process'
3 > priority to for example -10 makes graphical software response faster.
4 > It works for me!! (no matter the system hangs sometimes :).
5 > I think you have a fast machine, try it with a very slow computer
6 > (sempron processor and radeon xpress200m+fglrx).
7
8 Please don't top post in this forum.
9
10 Look, you are talking about running the X session as root. That doesn't
11 make sense as an "X session" is e.g. gnome or kde which runs as the
12 user. I fail to see how the X client programs have any effect on the
13 the responsiveness of the server, yet this is exactly what you are
14 saying. Then you talk about vulnerabilities in the client apps with an
15 implication that this can somehow affect the server which runs as root.
16 But that is just not true, except if a client can exploit a
17 vulnerability in the server (which is to my mind not what you are
18 saying).
19
20 Finally, there is very little point in debating this topic. If Linus
21 says that niceness has never had a whole lot of effect in Linux, and
22 that perceived differences are entirely due to reducing the latency a
23 specific app experiences, then I am going to go with the one guy that
24 knows the subject and consider your experiences to be anecdotal.
25
26 You'll probably get better results with X by selecting a suitable
27 process scheduler and configuring your HZ to 1000