From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:06:13
1 On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 01:46:08AM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Joshua Murphy wrote:
3
4 > >gdb is the GNU Debugger. As for the usability of strace in your case,
5 > >if you can see the last few calls before the lock-up occurs, it could
6 > >help narrow things down a bit. Also, if you SSH into the machine and
7 > >run firefox through strace via that (drawing to the machine's local
8 > >screen, not the SSH client's), you will have anything it can give in a
9 > >workable form, even after the system hangs. You might also test
10 > >whether it crashes while running Firefox via SSH and drawing to a
11 > >different machine, which (if it does) would allow you to sit on a real
12 > >terminal on the main system and see the kernel's output in the instant
13 > >of the crash or (if it doesn't) would narrow it down to X being a key
14 > >factor.
17 > I'm like Peanut on the Jeff Dunham comedy skit. Take your hand and
18 > go over your head and say whoooosh. I better wait on a fix because
19 > I may break more than I learn. O_O
22 I second what Joshua says. It can help narrow down the cause.
23
24 One question: when Firefox causes the panic, does the Firefox window
25 appear, or does it not? If not, then it would cover up the terminal
26 emulator your are running `strace firefox` from, so you can still copy
27 down the few lines of output.
28
29 What Joshua is suggesting is to give your machine another way to show
30 its outputs. So take another box (a laptop or a desktop on your LAN)
31 and SSH into your problem box.
32
33 (1) Starting Firefox from the remote box.
34 i. On your problem box, open up console and issue `xhost +` (eh...
35 you probably want to be behind a firewall when you do this)
36 ii. ssh from your other box to the problem box
37 iii. issue now, in the ssh terminal `export DISPLAY=:0`
38 iv. issue `strace firefox`
39 This should let you start firefox on your problem box while having
40 the strace output sent to your other box. Maybe you'd be able to see
41 something there.
42
43 (2) Starting Firefox remotely. There are two versions of this.
44 (a) Run firefox on problem box.
45 i. ssh from your other box to the problem box, with the `-Y`
46 option set to allow X forwarding
47 ii. run `firefox` from the SSH console (this should run firefox
48 on the problem box and have it draw the display on your other box; if
49 this doesn't cause your problem box to lock up, it should tell us
50 something. What exactly I am not sure)
51 (b) Run firefox on other box.
52 i. ssh from your problem box to the other box, again with the
53 `-Y` option to allow X forwarding
54 ii. run `firefox` from the SSH console (if this doesn't crash,
55 then it is likely something funny with your local firefox; if it does
56 crash, then something real strange is going on)
57
58 Can you report on those experiments?
59
60 Good luck,
61
62 W
63 --
64 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
65 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
66 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton