From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 07:11:01
1 Joshua Murphy wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>> <SNIP>
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>> It works as long as I don't open Firefox. If I open Firefox, poof!! No
11 >>>> more trapped smoke. lol
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Dale
14 >>>>
15 >>>>
16 >>> So I had suggested running it in gdb and someone else suggested
17 >>> running it in strace. Did you have a chance to try either of those?
18 >>>
19 >>> Not sure how much info you'll get from either but might be worth a try.
20 >>>
21 >>> - Mark
22 >>>
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >> I don't know what gdb is. If my machine locks up, I won't be able to see
27 >> what strace does. I'm not sure that will help.
28 >>
29 >> Dale
30 >>
31 >> :-) :-)
35 > gdb is the GNU Debugger. As for the usability of strace in your case,
36 > if you can see the last few calls before the lock-up occurs, it could
37 > help narrow things down a bit. Also, if you SSH into the machine and
38 > run firefox through strace via that (drawing to the machine's local
39 > screen, not the SSH client's), you will have anything it can give in a
40 > workable form, even after the system hangs. You might also test
41 > whether it crashes while running Firefox via SSH and drawing to a
42 > different machine, which (if it does) would allow you to sit on a real
43 > terminal on the main system and see the kernel's output in the instant
44 > of the crash or (if it doesn't) would narrow it down to X being a key
45 > factor.
49 I'm like Peanut on the Jeff Dunham comedy skit. Take your hand and go
50 over your head and say whoooosh. I better wait on a fix because I may
51 break more than I learn. O_O
52
53 LOL
54