From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 05:06:12
1 On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >> <SNIP>
6 >>
7 >>>
8 >>> It works as long as I don't open Firefox.  If I open Firefox, poof!!  No
9 >>> more trapped smoke.  lol
10 >>>
11 >>> Dale
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> So I had suggested running it in gdb and someone else suggested
15 >> running it in strace. Did you have a chance to try either of those?
16 >>
17 >> Not sure how much info you'll get from either but might be worth a try.
18 >>
19 >> - Mark
24 > I don't know what gdb is.  If my machine locks up, I won't be able to see
25 > what strace does.  I'm not sure that will help.
26 >
27 > Dale
28 >
29 > :-)  :-)
33 gdb is the GNU Debugger. As for the usability of strace in your case,
34 if you can see the last few calls before the lock-up occurs, it could
35 help narrow things down a bit. Also, if you SSH into the machine and
36 run firefox through strace via that (drawing to the machine's local
37 screen, not the SSH client's), you will have anything it can give in a
38 workable form, even after the system hangs. You might also test
39 whether it crashes while running Firefox via SSH and drawing to a
40 different machine, which (if it does) would allow you to sit on a real
41 terminal on the main system and see the kernel's output in the instant
42 of the crash or (if it doesn't) would narrow it down to X being a key
43 factor.
46 Poison [BLX]
47 Joshua M. Murphy