From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /home doesn't umount on shutdown
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:03:44
1 On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 06:44:11 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On the rare occasion when I reboot or shut this laptop down, it
6 > > continually and consistently gets stuck on one of the final steps,
7 > > to umount /home
8 > >
9 > > The process never proceeds beyond that point (as /home is always
10 > > fsck'ed on next startup). I can't see any logs as syslog has already
11 > > been shut down at this point, and it happens whether I shutdown as
12 > > root from the console or by using the KDE widget.
13 > >
14 > > /home here is on LVM
15 > >
16 > > I could probably debug this easily enough if I could determine how
17 > > the shutdown sequence is ordered, or get a verbose output. But
18 > > sadly, my fu for such stuff has run out.
19 > >
20 > > Anyone got pointers on where to start poking around?
21 > >
22 > > [I'm not looking for solutions, I'm unlikely to get those right off
23 > > the bat, just looking for pointers atm]
28 > I would do a 'rc single' then use lsof for /home to see what if
29 > anything is still going on. I think with openrc, when you go to
30 > single user it unmounts about everything, tho this could have changed
31 > since it has been a while since I went to single user. Oh, I have
32 > had issues going from single user back to default mode. It just
33 > doesn't work right. So, be ready to reboot if needed.
34 >
35 > I ran into a weird issue one time a long time ago. It turned out it
36 > was the order I had them in fstab. I think I had /usr/portage
37 > above /usr so as it went down the file, it was trying to
38 > mount /usr/portage then trying to mount /usr. I thought it rather
39 > odd, maybe a bug even, but changing the order made it work. Do you
40 > maybe have something in a odd order in fstab?
41 >
42 > Well, it's early and I am still half asleep. Hope that helps. Going
43 > back to bed. To wet to go hunting this morning, sleeting too.
44 > Brrrrrr!
47 LABEL=BOOT /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
48 LABEL=ROOT / ext4 noatime,discard 0 1
49 LABEL=KHAMUL-500G-HOME /home ext4 noatime 1 2
50
51 LABEL=SWAP swap swap sw 0 0
52
53 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0
54 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0
55 shm /dev/shm tmpfs size=75%,rw,nosuid,nodev,exec,relatime 0 0
56
57 //10.1.249.2/alanm /mnt/quasar cifs noauto,user,credentials=/home/alanm/.credentials/quasar,defaults 0 0
58 172.20.0.3:/mnt/data/media /mnt/media nfs noauto,user,rw,defaults 0 0
59 mtpfs /mnt/galaxy fuse user,noauto,allow_other 0 0
62 quasar and media are two shares (one at work one at home) that I use all the time, one or both are almost always mounted.
63 But they don't seem to affect the shutdown at all - /home hangs whether I'm at work or at home and whether the NFS share is accessible or not
67 > Dale
68 >
75 Alan McKinnon
76 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com