From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Atheros chip with airodump-ng
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:58:40
1 On 13 Nov 2008, at 19:32, Simon wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I discussed some time ago with some folks at madwifi and... the
4 > answer was basically that they need help. The drivers are far from
5 > being alright, there are obvious issues that still needs to be
6 > addressed... the creation/destruction of interface wasn't working
7 > very well (this is like 3 months ago).
8 >
9 > The conclusion was to move on to ath5k, the newer drivers for
10 > atheros wireless cards, I was told madwifi was to be obsolete soon.
11
12 I have an Allnet ALL0281 here which I haven't used in a while, but
13 which I was VERY pleased with under madwifi.
14
15 Under madwifi (not sure if it was madwifi-ng or ye olde one that I
16 used) it can be used in master mode with multiple virtual access-
17 points. For example, one could have separate WEP & open networks on
18 the same wireless card; these were presented as different interfaces
19 (wifi0, wifi1, wifi...) so they could be firewalled appropriately.
20
21 This card is sitting here ready for when I rebuild the server (in my
22 Copious Free Time, obviously).
23
24 Can anyone tell me if the ath5k drivers support virtual APs in this
25 way? It is VERY useful.
26
27 Stroller.