From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --sync
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 20:28:07
1 On 7/31/22 15:51, n952162 wrote:
2 > I've been running gentoo for years now, and every time I go to --sync,
3 > it's really a painful process.
4 >
5 > The process can take *very* before you find out if it succeeded or not.
6 >
7 > I try different repos.conf servers - one works for a while, then
8 > doesn't, then later, the new one doesn't work anymore and the old one
9 > works again.
10 >
11 > I've asked here about it multiple times and get the answers
12 >
13 > - "I don't have a problem"
14 >
15 > - "just change the server"
16 >
17 > - "keep trying"
18 >
19 > It can take several hours before it finally works
20 >
21 > It seems like a time-out problem.  Or maybe a memory problem ... In any
22 > case, it doesn't seem like it ought to be difficult to at least know
23 > what the problem is.
24 >
25 > Or?
26
27 Well, since "it works for me" I can only suggest some things to think of
28 and to try.  While a memory problem is possible, if it is timing out,
29 I'd look at a possible network problem.
30
31 First, as you talk about repos.conf, is your issue with the main portage
32 repo or some overlay?  Second, for the problem (or just pick one if it
33 happens with several) server, can you ping that server without
34 problems?  Third (maybe should have been first) what is your sync method
35 and what is GENTOO_MIRRORS in your make.conf?  Related to that last one,
36 have you run mirrorselect recently?
37
38 No solution, I know, but maybe something to trigger a useful thought.