From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:19:49
1 On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 05:10:55 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > That's why I build the initramfs into the kernel and not as a separate
4 > > file. If I do something to break the initramfs I just boot the
5 > > previous kernel knowing it will still work.
6
7 > I tried that. It broke. It didn't boot not even once. Google was no
8 > help either tho I found others with the same issues but no fix. Right
9 > now I am using the dracut thingy. If it breaks, I have no idea how to
10 > fix it. That's one reason why I left Mandrake, the init thingy kept
11 > breaking every few months. Then after one upgrade, I was just fed up.
12 > I moved on.
13
14 If you're writing your own init, it's bound to fail at first. Just fill
15 it full of echo statements and keep trying. It probably takes longer than
16 dracut, but you end up with something that not only does what you want,
17 but in a way you understand.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable