From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about boot with framebuffer
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 19:37:06
1 On Monday, July 4 at 13:10 (-0500), Harry Putnam said:
2
3 > Are you saying it does not require `xorg-x11'.
4 >
5 > Step 2) says in large type:
6 > `2. Installing Xorg'
7 >
8 > Then a big note in a green box later on says:
9 >
10 > ,----
11 > | Note: You could install the xorg-x11 metapackage instead of the more
12 > | lightweight xorg-server. Functionally, xorg-x11 and xorg-server are
13 > | the same. However, xorg-x11 brings in many more packages that you
14 > | probably don't need, such as a huge assortment of fonts in many
15 > | different languages. They're not necessary for a working desktop.
16 > `----
17 >
18 > So I'm a little confused.
19
20 Perhaps pointing to the xorg documentation was a mistake. I only
21 pointed there because it had instructions on setting up KMS.
22
23 KMS (kernel mode setting) does not require X. It gives the kernel the
24 ability to set the modes of your graphics cards, more efficiently and
25 usually beyond the capabilities of what the *vesa drivers can do.
26 Perhaps a better, non X-centered explanation of what KMS is can be found
27 here [1].
28
29 Regardless, KMS is the newer, better, what-all-the-cool-kids-are-doinger
30 way to what we've traditionally called "framebuffer console". It also
31 helps with X, especially switching between console and Xorg (faster and
32 more seamless). It also gives you some xrandr-like abilities for the
33 console.
34
35 E.g. my laptop does native 1366x768 but does not support that vesa mode
36 (it's not in the VESA standard afaik). But KMS can set that mode without
37 me even having to specify it.[2]
38
39 Anyway some proprietary X drivers (I've heard) don't support KMS (some
40 still don't even support xrandr), but if you are not running Xorg then
41 that may not be applicable to you anyway.
42
43 [1]
44 http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_29#head-e1bab8dc862e3b477cc38d87e8ddc779a66509d1
45