From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about boot with framebuffer
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 15:29:46
1 Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > On Monday, July 4 at 13:10 (-0500), Harry Putnam said:
6 >
7 > > Are you saying it does not require `xorg-x11'.
8 > >
9 > > Step 2) says in large type:
10 > > `2. Installing Xorg'
11 > >
12 > > Then a big note in a green box later on says:
13 > >
14 > > ,----
15 > > | Note: You could install the xorg-x11 metapackage instead of the more
16 > > | lightweight xorg-server. Functionally, xorg-x11 and xorg-server are
17 > > | the same. However, xorg-x11 brings in many more packages that you
18 > > | probably don't need, such as a huge assortment of fonts in many
19 > > | different languages. They're not necessary for a working desktop.
20 > > `----
21 > >
22 > > So I'm a little confused.
23 >
24 > Perhaps pointing to the xorg documentation was a mistake. I only
25 > pointed there because it had instructions on setting up KMS.
26 >
27 > KMS (kernel mode setting) does not require X. It gives the kernel the
28 > ability to set the modes of your graphics cards, more efficiently and
29 > usually beyond the capabilities of what the *vesa drivers can do.
30 > Perhaps a better, non X-centered explanation of what KMS is can be found
31 > here [1].
32 >
33 > Regardless, KMS is the newer, better, what-all-the-cool-kids-are-doinger
34 > way to what we've traditionally called "framebuffer console". It also
35 > helps with X, especially switching between console and Xorg (faster and
36 > more seamless). It also gives you some xrandr-like abilities for the
37 > console.
38 >
39 > E.g. my laptop does native 1366x768 but does not support that vesa mode
40 > (it's not in the VESA standard afaik). But KMS can set that mode without
41 > me even having to specify it.[2]
42 >
43 > Anyway some proprietary X drivers (I've heard) don't support KMS (some
44 > still don't even support xrandr), but if you are not running Xorg then
45 > that may not be applicable to you anyway.
46 >
47 > [1]
48 > http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_29#head-e1bab8dc862e3b477cc38d87e8ddc779a66509d1
49 >
50 > [2] http://ompldr.org/vOWN0cg/kms.png
51
52 I tried to use kms, but it conflicted with the nvidia driver and did not
53 give me as much screen size in the console as uvesafb.
56 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
57 How do
58 you spend it?
59
60 John Covici