From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: What is LD_LIBRARY_PATH? (Was Re: [gentoo-user] OpenOffice 2.3.1 Won't Start As User)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:52:55
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 080221 Drew Tomlinson wrote:
3 >
4 >> I emerged OpenOffice 2.3.1 on my amd64 install running gentoo-2.6.23-r5.
5 >> I can start OpenOffice as root but not as a regular user.
8 > How are you starting it ? Do you enter eg 'oocalc' from a CLI
9 > or do you click on an icon in a start menu ? If the latter,
10 > check that the menu is using the correct command (eg use Kmenuedit).
11 > If the former, are there any error messages ?
14 I have started it both ways as a user. As root, I start from the CLI
15 after su to root from my user login.
16
17 There are no error messages. When starting as a user, the splash
18 graphic just sits there and the CPU usage is basically 100% for both X
19 and oosplash.bin. When starting as root, the splash graphic starts and
20 then a progress bar at the bottom of the splash graphic progresses in
21 about 10 seconds and OpenOffice starts. The progress bar never
22 progresses when starting as a user. I have to kill oosplash.bin with
23 signal 15 after starting as a user to return my system to normal.
24
25 Some more Googling turned up this post:
26
27 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-623771-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-25.html?sid=1514fa8e48f6a12a86c6c66e920161e9
28
29 I found that when I su to root, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not defined. As a
30 user, it is defined as:
31
32 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib32/xorg:/usr/lib64/xorg
33
34 If I unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a user terminal, then OpenOffice starts.
35 So what is LD_LIBRARY_PATH and why am I seeing this behavior?
36
37 Thanks,
38
39 Drew