From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: decrapify your kernel config
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:19:43
1 On Wednesday 18 November 2009 01:16:04 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann schrieb:
3 > > Namespaces - you don't need it? Kick 'em out.
4 >
5 > hmm, interesting ... ;-)
6 >
7 > for sure I also want to decrapify my kernel-config ...
8 >
9 > To disable namespaces I would have to set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y ... correct?
10 >
11 > This is rather counterintuitive to me, as my main workstation is far
12 > from an embedded or small system (ok, not compared to the
13 > 4096-cpu-clusters in http://xkcd.com/619/ , but compared to, for
14 > example, my embedded ALIX-PC I use as fw/router/something ...).
15 >
16 > So you suggest I set CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y and in turn get several new
17 > options/defaults to choose and get right or wrong ... ?
18 >
19 > ;-)
20 >
21 > I am quite sure to have at least *some* crap in my config as I tend to
22 > always do something like
23 >
24 > zcat /proc/config.gz >> /usr/src/linux-new-shiny-version/.config
25 > make oldconfig
26 >
27 > ....
28 >
29 > This gives me expected results and a "it boots OK" experience, getting
30 > rid of unused crap is another issue, yes.
31 >
32 > I wonder which EMBEDDED options would help me ...
33
34 Likely none of them.
35
36 The embedded menu is the most counter-intuitive thing in the whole kernel
37 config. It does not supply a list of things you may enable, instead it
38 activates a menu that allows you to switch stuff OFF that is normally ON.
39
40 The rationale is that embedded devices need to get by on a very slim kernel
41 and with some magic trickery they can successfully disable some features that
42 are usually considered perfectly normal for regular desktop use.
43
44 For example: CONFIG_HOTPLUG. It's unthinkable to remove this for a desktop,
45 but does your TomTom need it? Does a GPS even have hotplug facilities? How
46 about ADSL router/modems?
47
48 To disable namespace, enable embedded, leave everything on, and you will find
49 you can now disable namespaces.
53 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com