From: Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't get any microphone to work
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 22:08:17
1 On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM, <v_2e@×××.net> wrote:
2 >  Hello!
3 >
4 > On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:32:43 -0300
5 > Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >> Damn!
8 >>
9 >> I've been all morning struggling with this.
10 >> I have an analog microphone wired to my hda intel onboard sound card.
11 >> Also, I have a genius webcam (gspca_pac7302) with a builtin mic.
12 >>
13 >> I tried arecord but couldn't capture anything from any of it, so I
14 >> guess I'm doing something wrong. But what?
15 >> ...
16 >  My personal experience shows me that most of the time all the
17 > "silence in mic" is because of the muted (or very too quiet) or wrong
18 > selected recording device.
19 >
20 >  I prefer to check this in 'alsamixer'. If you have several
21 > microphones on your PC, there should be a possibility to choose the
22 > device to record the sound from (on my system there are 'Line',
23 > 'Internal Mic' and 'Mic' options).
24 >
25 >  If you choose a correct device, then check if it is not muted as well
26 > (a symbol 'M' in Alsamixer means 'muted').
27 >
28 >  If the device you need is un-muted, then raise the volume level (or
29 > maybe 'Mic Boost' as well).
32 This was exactly the case. Some alsamixer tweaking was needed.
33
34 Strangely, I needed to change "Channel mode" from "6 ch" to "2 ch" for
35 my intel-hda soundcard.
36
37 I still can't get the webcam mic to work.... :-(
38
39 Thanks a lot!