From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:17:47
1 On Saturday 05 September 2009, Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3
4 > > Have you tried pointing your browser to: http://192.168.1.254 ?
5 >
6 > Yep, did that and bookmarked it. THAT was mistake #1. It bookmarked a
7 > different part of the modem. Therefore, it didn't give me the other
8 > pages you are referring too. Going to he link you gave worked better,
9 > MUCH better!! I see some stuff I can mess up now.
10
11 Careful what settings you de/select because you can lock yourself out. Make
12 sure that you disable remote admin access, unless you intend to access it
13 locally and set a passwd anyway. Also disable upnp.
14
15 > >>> Your netstat results show that you are running mdnsd and mDNSResponder.
16 > >>> Is this necessary?
17 > >>
18 > >> I vaguely remember something pulling that in a LONG time ago. I have no
19 > >> clue what the heck that thing is, none whatsoever. I remember checking
20 > >> the forums when it was installed and it being needed by something. I
21 > >> don't think I have it set to start, I think it starts because something
22 > >> else needs it. Should I kill that thing or what?
23 > >
24 > > I believe it is running because of zeroconf. Unless you have use for
25 > > zeroconf on your LAN network I would remove them from rc-update.
26 >
27 > I don't have zeroconf in a runlevel. Something is starting it but I
28 > don't know what it is. This is a list of what I have set up to start.
29 >
30 > root@smoker / # rc-update show
31 > bootmisc | boot
32 > checkfs | boot
33 > checkroot | boot
34 > clock | boot
35 > consolefont | boot
36 > cupsd | default
37 > hald | default
38 > hostname | boot
39 > ivman | default
40 > keymaps | boot
41 > local | default nonetwork
42 > localmount | boot
43 > modules | boot
44 > net.eth0 | default
45 > net.lo | boot
46 > netmount | default
47 > ntpd | default
48 > numlock | default
49 > rmnologin | boot
50 > smartd | default
51 > syslog-ng | default
52 > upsd | default
53 > upsdrv | default
54 > upsmon | default
55 > urandom | boot
56 > vixie-cron | default
57 > xdm | default
58 > root@smoker / #
59
60 No I meant disable mDNSResponder and mdnsd, but you don't seem to have them
61 there ...
62
63 > I'd be glad to get rid of it but I don't know which one to stop and
64 > remove from the services to start. Ideas?
65
66 Well, on my system it is kdelibs that pull it in:
67
68 # emerge --depclean -pv net-misc/mDNSResponder
69
70 Calculating dependencies... done!
71 net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.6-r5 pulled in by:
72 kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.10-r6
73
74 despite the fact that I do not have avahi and zeroconf USE flags enabled
75 either in kdelibs or cups:
76 =======================================
77 # emerge -pDv kde-base/kdelibs
78
79 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
80
81 Calculating dependencies... done!
82 [ebuild R ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.10-r6 USE="acl alsa branding cups fam
83 spell
84 tiff -arts -avahi -bindist -debug -doc -jpeg2k -kdehiddenvisibility -kerberos -legacyssl -lua -openexr -utempter"
85 0 kB
86
87 # emerge -pDv net-print/cups
88
89 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
90
91 Calculating dependencies... done!
92 [ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.10-r2 USE="X acl dbus jpeg ldap pam perl
93 png ppds python ssl
94 tiff -avahi -gnutls -java -kerberos -php -samba -slp -static -xinetd -zeroconf"
95 LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he -id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB
97
98 > Well, if they can't find me, how do they break in? LOL Just kidding
99 > but you know. It's a start.
100
101 They can find you. The probes show 'filtered' ports instead of 'closed'.
102 --
103 Regards,
104 Mick