From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 19:58:37
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 05 September 2009, Dale wrote:
5 >> As far as I can tell, I can't configure anything in the modem, at all.
6 >> That is the weirdest modem I have ever seen. Unless I am missing
7 >> something, I can't enable or disable anything at all.
10 > Hmm ... you haven't searched this much now, have you?
13 Yep, I looked at the login screen the modem gave me. LOL It's just the
14 wrong one. See below.
15
16 > Have you tried pointing your browser to: http://192.168.1.254 ?
19 Yep, did that and bookmarked it. THAT was mistake #1. It bookmarked a
20 different part of the modem. Therefore, it didn't give me the other
21 pages you are referring too. Going to he link you gave worked better,
22 MUCH better!! I see some stuff I can mess up now.
23
24 > The authentication code/passwd is probably written in a sticker below the
25 > router itself, or look at the manual, or ring your ISP.
26 >
27 > Have a look here for more info:
28 > http://www.dslreports.com/faq/bellsouth/3.121_Motorola_Info
31 Now that was cool. The pages were slow as crap but cool anyway. I
32 don't know why but the AT&T pages load about the same speed on DSL as
33 they did on dial-up. Everything else is fast but not AT&T. Weird huh?
34 I think it is those sucky servers that run winders. LOL
37 >>> Your netstat results show that you are running mdnsd and mDNSResponder.
38 >>> Is this necessary?
39 >>>
40 >> I vaguely remember something pulling that in a LONG time ago. I have no
41 >> clue what the heck that thing is, none whatsoever. I remember checking
42 >> the forums when it was installed and it being needed by something. I
43 >> don't think I have it set to start, I think it starts because something
44 >> else needs it. Should I kill that thing or what?
47 > I believe it is running because of zeroconf. Unless you have use for zeroconf
48 > on your LAN network I would remove them from rc-update.
51 I don't have zeroconf in a runlevel. Something is starting it but I
52 don't know what it is. This is a list of what I have set up to start.
53
54 root@smoker / # rc-update show
55 bootmisc | boot
56 checkfs | boot
57 checkroot | boot
58 clock | boot
59 consolefont | boot
60 cupsd | default
61 hald | default
62 hostname | boot
63 ivman | default
64 keymaps | boot
65 local | default nonetwork
66 localmount | boot
67 modules | boot
68 net.eth0 | default
69 net.lo | boot
70 netmount | default
71 ntpd | default
72 numlock | default
73 rmnologin | boot
74 smartd | default
75 syslog-ng | default
76 upsd | default
77 upsdrv | default
78 upsmon | default
79 urandom | boot
80 vixie-cron | default
81 xdm | default
82 root@smoker / #
83
84 I'd be glad to get rid of it but I don't know which one to stop and
85 remove from the services to start. Ideas?
88 >>> The stealthiness or not of your ports is determined by your router
89 >>> (responding to ICMP echo requests) and is for all intends and purposes
90 >>> irrelevant.
91 >>>
94 >> I ran a iptable script and saved the config a long time ago. I don't
95 >> know if it is the modem or my iptables that is making me "stealthy" or
96 >> what. I'm just glad that me hiding appears to be a good thing. lol
99 > Aheam, if you re-read the previous paragraph of mine and the link I provided
100 > in previous message you'll see that being stealthy is irrelevant, at least
101 > from a network security perspective.
104 Well, if they can't find me, how do they break in? LOL Just kidding
105 but you know. It's a start.
106
107 Dale
108