From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 19:02:05
1 On Saturday 05 September 2009, Dale wrote:
2
3 > As far as I can tell, I can't configure anything in the modem, at all.
4 > That is the weirdest modem I have ever seen. Unless I am missing
5 > something, I can't enable or disable anything at all.
6
7 Hmm ... you haven't searched this much now, have you?
8
9 Have you tried pointing your browser to: http://192.168.1.254 ?
10
11 The authentication code/passwd is probably written in a sticker below the
12 router itself, or look at the manual, or ring your ISP.
13
14 Have a look here for more info:
15 http://www.dslreports.com/faq/bellsouth/3.121_Motorola_Info
16
17 > > Your netstat results show that you are running mdnsd and mDNSResponder.
18 > > Is this necessary?
19 >
20 > I vaguely remember something pulling that in a LONG time ago. I have no
21 > clue what the heck that thing is, none whatsoever. I remember checking
22 > the forums when it was installed and it being needed by something. I
23 > don't think I have it set to start, I think it starts because something
24 > else needs it. Should I kill that thing or what?
25
26 I believe it is running because of zeroconf. Unless you have use for zeroconf
27 on your LAN network I would remove them from rc-update.
28
29 > > The stealthiness or not of your ports is determined by your router
30 > > (responding to ICMP echo requests) and is for all intends and purposes
31 > > irrelevant.
32
33 > I ran a iptable script and saved the config a long time ago. I don't
34 > know if it is the modem or my iptables that is making me "stealthy" or
35 > what. I'm just glad that me hiding appears to be a good thing. lol
36
37 Aheam, if you re-read the previous paragraph of mine and the link I provided
38 in previous message you'll see that being stealthy is irrelevant, at least
39 from a network security perspective.
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick