From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:48:24
1 On 12/27/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Mike Myers <fluffymikey <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 > > I think I like your idea better, about distributing binaries. Do you
7 > know if
8 > something like this is being worked on? I'm certain that a common method
10 > this, like what you're saying, would allow Gentoo to become scalable to
11 > the
12 > point of being easily usable on a large scale.
15 > It's a lot of work. I'll be pusing binaries to lots of systems, but, it
16 > going
17 > to take me months to get ready. I was hoping others with similar goals
18 > would
19 > 'band together' to come up with a solution that combines the needs for the
20 > casual user as well as those of us that want to manage dozens to hundres
21 > of Gentoo systems.....
22 >
23 > I need to refine the idea, and my goal is mostly embedded gentoo sytems,
24 > but,
25 > they are very similar to gentoo-servers. Expanding the idea to
26 > workstation,
27 > at least for core software, is not that difficult.
28 >
29 > I do not intend to get into 'competiion' with the devs, particularly on
30 > applications that are big, complex, or prone to breakage (OO)....
33 > It'd really be better to do this as a group, but, I've found little
34 > interest,
35 > most probably due to the fact that most folks are already bogged down with
36 > their own ambitions.
39 > James
45 > --
46 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
50 I honestly believe there's a lack of interest in such thing because most
51 Gentoo users use it as their home computer. The fact that Gentoo doesn't
52 scale very well prevents that market from growing at all, and I think that's
53 why there's a lack of interest in supporting such a thing. It's kind of
54 like a chicken and egg thing.
55
56 I don't think setting something like this up would be competing with the
57 devs, unless they already had something in mind, since a project like this
58 would only be proxying packages and adding another package management layer
59 to portage. I could be wrong though, I guess if you or whoever came up with
60 a solution we would see. I don't have strong enough development skills to
61 help handle something like that though, but I'd love to test it out.