From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:19:39
1 Mike Myers <fluffymikey <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I think I like your idea better, about distributing binaries. Do you know if
5 something like this is being worked on? I'm certain that a common method to
6 this, like what you're saying, would allow Gentoo to become scalable to the
7 point of being easily usable on a large scale.
10 It's a lot of work. I'll be pusing binaries to lots of systems, but, it going
11 to take me months to get ready. I was hoping others with similar goals would
12 'band together' to come up with a solution that combines the needs for the
13 casual user as well as those of us that want to manage dozens to hundres
14 of Gentoo systems.....
15
16 I need to refine the idea, and my goal is mostly embedded gentoo sytems, but,
17 they are very similar to gentoo-servers. Expanding the idea to workstation,
18 at least for core software, is not that difficult.
19
20 I do not intend to get into 'competiion' with the devs, particularly on
21 applications that are big, complex, or prone to breakage (OO)....
24 It'd really be better to do this as a group, but, I've found little interest,
25 most probably due to the fact that most folks are already bogged down with
26 their own ambitions.
29 James
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list