From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:49:32
1 On 12/26/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Mike Myers <fluffymikey <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 > > Hi! I know I don't post here much but I read it a lot and have been
7 > using
8 > Gentoo for several years now. I keep seeing users mention about how they
9 > do an
10 > update and then everything goes to crap. I've experienced this myself
11 > quite a
12 > bit too. I believe the reason this happens is the drawback one of
13 > Gentoo's
14 > nicest features; constantly being up to date.
17 > Hello MIke,
18 >
19 > Folks probably will not like my suggestions, but it works
20 > in lieu of a better schema, so aplogies to all I offend, in
21 > advance........
22 >
23 > Gentoo servers (firewall, dns, mail, web ...) rarely suffer from these
24 > issues, in fact, I believe one of gentoo's largest unexplored niches
25 > should be Large Installation System Administration (via cfengine).
26 >
27 > So, in my opinion, where Gentoo is really challenged, is the workstation
28 > (laptop, desktop....). You know the X11 + kde/gnome software boxen.
29 > What I do is keep one (workstation) system
30 > on the bleeding edge (very frequent upgrades) so as to discern
31 > where breakage or unecessary updates are looming. Since I admin an ever
32 > expanding hoarde of gentoo based servers and workstations, development
33 > of some tools to compile, distribute and manage the various x86 and amd64
34 > machines we have, is way past due. As soon as I have a scheme I'm
35 > happy with, we'll be deploying lots of embedded gentoo based systems.
36 >
37 > So I update the test workstation on fridays, use it over the weekend a
38 > nd then update the other systems. Granted, if the devs release something
39 > (broken) over the weekend, I get screwed with this scheme sometimes.
40 > I should update the test system daily (in the mornings) and then
41 > update the other systems on the same day after that.
42 >
43 > Problems with that scenario is the various methods of proxying the
44 > downloads and syncs are problematic in and of themselvs, not very
45 > often, but still bad enough to make those current schemes, less
46 > than desirable. Futhermore, DistCC is still a 'work in progress'
47 > and I've experience just enough hassle that it has been disabled
48 > (also due in part to so many different variants of x86).
49 >
50 > Long story short: Gentoo is the best distro for our work, as one only
51 > has to installed debian, suse, or redhat for a week or two, to realize
52 > just how spoiled you get with Gentoo. That said, I've learned to be
53 > cautious and patient with key software upgrades on Gentoo. However this
54 > approach burns lots of extra time. My hope is Gentoo will continue to
55 > improve and become more of a 'production' distro, as the other Linux
56 > distros all seem to have unacceptable flaws, for our needs.
57 >
58 > Future:
59 > What is really needed is a group of users, with similar needs, to define
60 > commonality of core applications that are essential to the needs: What
61 > this means is a list of software, for example openoffice, kde-meta,
62 > apache,
63 > java, perl, python, C, etc. that forms a core of what we all need (not
64 > what
65 > we want). Then set up cfengine to push binaries, via a trusted mechanisms,
66 > to each of the arch categories) Maybe on a weekly basis. Each
67 > network, business or usergroup, would use their test system for 24 hours
68 > as a quarrantined update, before pushing to the rest of their machines.
69 > Or maybe push sources that are know good, to the test server at each
70 > participating location.
71 >
72 > If fact what the one (initially) master server environment sets up
73 > uses, could be duplicated at any remote location with a group of systems.
74 > Individuals could feed (download binaries) from those locations, with
75 > the proper security mechanisms agreed to. If a group of locations
76 > with multiple systems use a common update semantic, then it would be
77 > a lot less work, as opposed to each cleaver admin, rolling their own
78 > solution..... If something actually worked reasonable well, talented
79 > admins could offer this service to commercial clients, thus generating
80 > excitement about gentoo, and funding for many needy geeks.....
81 >
82 > If you only have one or 2 gentoo sytems, something like this is not worth
83 > the effort. For those of us looking to manage dozens to hundreds of
84 > gentoo based systems, the need for some management scheme, is long
85 > overdue.
86 > JFFNMS goes a LONG way to solving the problem, but, it is not
87 > centric to the needs of gentoo systems. A companion project
88 > that addresses all of those gentoo_centric issues could compliment
89 > JFFNMS and simultaneously created that quintessential opportunity
90 > for Gentoo to really shine, compared to it's competition.
94 > James
98 > --
99 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
103 I think I like your idea better, about distributing binaries. Do you know
104 if something like this is being worked on? I'm certain that a common method
105 to this, like what you're saying, would allow Gentoo to become scalable to
106 the point of being easily usable on a large scale.