From: Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 23:57:48
1 On Thursday 20 December 2007 02:00:36 am Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I cannot really go into details, but maybe I'm competent enough to make
5 > some notes on this:
6 >
7 > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:47:55 -0500
8 >
9 > Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net> wrote:
10 > > I manually edited the file
11 > > /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8187_dev.c [...]
12 > > I added the line
13 > > {USB_DEVICE(0x0bda, 0x8197)},
14 > > in the /* Realtek */ area of the structure, then ran
15 > > make clean, then
16 > > make && make modules_install etc.
17 > >
18 > > After rebooting into the modified kernel, I now have iwmaster0 and iwlan0
19 > > lines showing up when I type iwconfig.
20 >
21 > Although that's a good sign, it does not guarantee that the driver
22 > fully supports your device. However, the kernel log should now have
23 > changed significantly and the driver might now tell you there if it's
24 > fully operable. "ifconfig" showing the correct MAC is also a good sign.
25 >
26 > As a side note: My suggestion would be to play with the different
27 > "drivers" of wpa_supplicant. DHCP won't work if there's no correct WPA
28 > setup anyway.
29 >
30 > -hwh
31
32 ifconfig only shows the eth0 and lo interfaces, whereas iwconfig shows info on
33 the wireless interface, but not the MAC address
34
35 The MAC address does appear in the dmesg logs, with the line
36 phy0: hwaddr <actual address not put in e-mail>, rtl8187 V0 + rtl8225
37
38 This is followed by
39 phy0: RF calibration failed! 0
40 which I think is the key symptom that I need to address in order to move
41 forwards.
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list