From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:06:19
1 Hi,
2
3 I cannot really go into details, but maybe I'm competent enough to make
4 some notes on this:
5
6 On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:47:55 -0500
7 Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net> wrote:
8
9 > I manually edited the file /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8187_dev.c
10 > [...]
11 > I added the line
12 > {USB_DEVICE(0x0bda, 0x8197)},
13 > in the /* Realtek */ area of the structure, then ran
14 > make clean, then
15 > make && make modules_install etc.
16 >
17 > After rebooting into the modified kernel, I now have iwmaster0 and iwlan0
18 > lines showing up when I type iwconfig.
19
20 Although that's a good sign, it does not guarantee that the driver
21 fully supports your device. However, the kernel log should now have
22 changed significantly and the driver might now tell you there if it's
23 fully operable. "ifconfig" showing the correct MAC is also a good sign.
24
25 As a side note: My suggestion would be to play with the different
26 "drivers" of wpa_supplicant. DHCP won't work if there's no correct WPA
27 setup anyway.
28
29 -hwh
30 --