From: Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 02:56:28
1 I made significant progress today.
2
3 I manually edited the file /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8187_dev.c
4
5 There is a static structure near the top of the code,
6
7 static struct usb_device_id rtl8187_table[] __devinitdata = {
8 /* Realtek */
9 {USB_DEVICE(0x0bda, 0x8187)},
10 /* netgear */
11 {USB_DEVICE(0x0846, 0x6100)},
12 {USB_DEVICE(0x0846, 0x6a00)},
13 {}
14 };
15
16 I added the line
17 {USB_DEVICE(0x0bda, 0x8197)},
18 in the /* Realtek */ area of the structure, then ran
19 make clean, then
20 make && make modules_install etc.
21
22 After rebooting into the modified kernel, I now have iwmaster0 and iwlan0
23 lines showing up when I type iwconfig.
24
25 The applicable lines of iwconfig are
26
27 wmaster0 no wireless extensions
28
29 wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID="mynetworkESSID"
30 Mode:Managed Frequency=2.417GHz Access Point: Not associated
31 Retry min limit 7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346B
32 Encryption key:<not telling you>
33 Link Quality:0 Signal Level:0 Noise Level:0
34 Rx Invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
35 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
36
37 I'm not all the way there yet, but this is significant progress.
38
39 wpa_supplicant gui still is blank, with the message 'could not get status from
40 WPA_supplicant', but at least now I have an interface showing up
41
42 It appears that it cannot find an access point. The access point is active,
43 as I can connect my work laptop to it, but so far, the laptop can't see it.
44
45 Any further advice gratefully received.
46
47 Jeff