From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: webrsync {SOLVED}
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 13:56:47
1 On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 4:33 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > I just have a massive swap space, and /var/tmp/portage is a tmpfs. So
4 > everything gets a fast tmpfs build, and it spills into swap as required
5 > (hopefully almost never).
8 I can articulate a bunch of reasons that on paper say that this is the
9 best approach.
10
11 In practice I've found that swap on linux is sub-optimal at best. I
12 only enable swap when I absolutely have to as a result. I'll reduce
13 -j to lower memory demand before adding swap usually. On more
14 RAM-constrained hosts I'll enable swap when building specific
15 packages, or try to avoid those packages entirely.
16
17 Maybe something has changed in the last few years and swap is actually
18 useful, but I'm skeptical. I always tend to end up with GB of free
19 RAM and a churning hard drive when I enable it. On SSD I'm sure it
20 will perform better, but then I'm running through erase cycles
21 instead.
22
23 Like I said, on paper adding swap should only make things better.
24 But, that is only true if the kernel makes the correct choices about
25 prioritizing swap vs cache use. Sure, I could set swappiness to zero
26 or whatever, but then that just turns swap into a NOOP best case and
27 it isn't like I have OOM issues, so why bother?.
30 Rich