From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: webrsync {SOLVED}
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 14:30:35
1 > On 29 Feb 2020, at 13:57, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Maybe something has changed in the last few years and swap is actually
4 > useful, but I'm skeptical. I always tend to end up with GB of free
5 > RAM and a churning hard drive when I enable it. On SSD I'm sure it
6 > will perform better, but then I'm running through erase cycles
7 > instead.
8
9 It may be a stupid question, but are you setting vm.swappiness to a reasonable value?
10
11 The default setting of 60 does tend to lead to swapping far earlier than is reasonable for modern desktops with 8+GB RAM.
12
13 Cheers,
14 Robert.