From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: webrsync {SOLVED}
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 14:33:20
1 On Saturday, 29 February 2020 14:30:26 GMT Robert Bridge wrote:
2 > > On 29 Feb 2020, at 13:57, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Maybe something has changed in the last few years and swap is actually
5 > > useful, but I'm skeptical. I always tend to end up with GB of free
6 > > RAM and a churning hard drive when I enable it. On SSD I'm sure it
7 > > will perform better, but then I'm running through erase cycles
8 > > instead.
9 >
10 > It may be a stupid question, but are you setting vm.swappiness to a
11 > reasonable value?
12 >
13 > The default setting of 60 does tend to lead to swapping far earlier than is
14 > reasonable for modern desktops with 8+GB RAM.
15 >
16 > Cheers,
17 > Robert.
18
19 For monster package compiles where each thread chews up more than 3G at a
20 time, the race to/from swap is endless. Swappiness will only go so far. As
21 Richard noted the only sensible solution is to reduce the number of jobs on
22 the compiler.