From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pam_permit on optional by default on pambase-20101024, but documentation says very dangerous
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:25:33
1 On 8/12/2010, at 6:29am, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >> I'm usually slow at updating my gentoo machine, and I think I was
3 >> behind by about a month from last update. Anyways, I noticed that the
4 >> recent pambase-20101024 has pam_permit optional on for auth, account
5 >> and password in /etc/pam.d/system-auth.
6 >>
7 >> That didn't sound real neat, so Iooked it up in the manual and it says
8 >> "very dangerous, use with extreme caution."
9 > ...
10 >
11 > The pam maintainer usually blogs about his changes:
12 >
13 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu
16 I read a little because I was interested.
17
18 To be more specific, this entry mentions pam_permit:
19 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/10/24/new-pambase-choices
20
21 This entry seems to suggest that Portage makes automated /etc configurations problematic:
22 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/04/29/pambase-is-not-that-free
23
24 Stroller