From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gobbledegook error message from emerge.
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 19:43:48
1 On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 5:08 AM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello, Mark.
4 >
5 > On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 12:11:02 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 > > On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 11:09 AM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
7 > > <SNIP>
8 > > > (dependency required by "dev-vcs/bzr-2.7.0::gentoo" [installed])
9 > > > (dependency required by "@selected" [set])
10 > > > (dependency required by "@world" [argument])
13 > > So I'm totally guessing here but as you have no other responses yet:
14 >
15 > > I'd start near the 'top', which of course is near the bottom.
16 >
17 > > What is 'bzr'?
18 >
19 > > https://packages.gentoo.org/categories/dev-vcs
20 >
21 > It is (or was) the version control system bazaar. It was a competitor
22 > for mercurial and git, but just wasn't quite as good. It was poorly
23 > documented, too (like git still is). It became unmaintained maybe three
24 > or four years ago. And it was written in python.
25 >
26 > > I do not see 'bzr' on this page. Is it something left over in your world
27 > > file, or just installed by some other app and no longer used, or moved
29 > > some other package category?
30 >
31 > I used to use bazaar until the Emacs project converted to git. It's
32 > time I expunged it altogether.
33 >
34 > > If you don't know what it is and think you don't need it then if it
35 were me
36 > > I'd consider just removing it and letting emerge @world figure out how
38 > > proceed.
39 >
40 > > And all of that is just a guess. No Gentoo available right now to delve
41 > > further.
42 >
43 > > Best of luck,
44 >
45 > Thanks!
46
47 Hey, I got lucky! Not bad for not even having a Gentoo machine to double
48 check on.
49
50 Glad it worked out.
51
52 I think the lesson here is start at the bottom and work up toward the
53 problem. That first line is just that in the weeds computer stuff.
54
55 Cheers,
56 Mark