From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gobbledegook error message from emerge.
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 12:07:46
1 Hello, Mark.
2
3 On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 12:11:02 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 11:09 AM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5 > <SNIP>
6 > > (dependency required by "dev-vcs/bzr-2.7.0::gentoo" [installed])
7 > > (dependency required by "@selected" [set])
8 > > (dependency required by "@world" [argument])
11 > So I'm totally guessing here but as you have no other responses yet:
12
13 > I'd start near the 'top', which of course is near the bottom.
14
15 > What is 'bzr'?
16
17 > https://packages.gentoo.org/categories/dev-vcs
18
19 It is (or was) the version control system bazaar. It was a competitor
20 for mercurial and git, but just wasn't quite as good. It was poorly
21 documented, too (like git still is). It became unmaintained maybe three
22 or four years ago. And it was written in python.
23
24 > I do not see 'bzr' on this page. Is it something left over in your world
25 > file, or just installed by some other app and no longer used, or moved to
26 > some other package category?
27
28 I used to use bazaar until the Emacs project converted to git. It's
29 time I expunged it altogether.
30
31 > If you don't know what it is and think you don't need it then if it were me
32 > I'd consider just removing it and letting emerge @world figure out how to
33 > proceed.
34
35 > And all of that is just a guess. No Gentoo available right now to delve
36 > further.
37
38 > Best of luck,
39