From: Jacques Montier <jmontier@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Long boot time after kernel update
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 13:04:01
1 Le mar. 28 déc. 2021 à 13:32, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> a écrit :
2
3 > William Kenworthy wrote:
4 > > A point to keep in mind - if you can feel the drive moving it may be
5 > > generating errors! Depending on the drive, the errors may just be
6 > > handled internally and I can see it slowing things down though
7 > > probably would be barely noticeable. I have seen it myself with
8 > > random errors from a WD green drive disappearing when properly
9 > > immobilised. When investigating I ran across articles discussing the
10 > > problem, one of which fastened the drives to a granite slab for
11 > > tests! Also see discussions on NAS seups and vibrations affecting co
12 > > located drives.
13 > >
14 > > BillK
15 > >
16 > > ** Interesting read
17 > > https://www.ept.ca/features/everything-need-know-hard-drive-vibration/
20 > This is just because it is a SMR drive. It's done this ever since I
21 > bought the drive and it has passed all tests. There's a whole thread on
22 > this dating back several years. I managed to buy a SMR drive before I
23 > even knew they existed. Once it fills up that PMR section, it gets
24 > really slow.
25 >
26 > Dale
27 >
28 > :-) :-)
31 Hello all,
32
33 Thanks a lot for all your responses !
34 I think this issue is kernel related.
35 No problem with 5.10.76-gentoo-r1, but the issue appears
36 with 5.15.11-gentoo.
37
38 I read on the net that it could be possible to desactivate the sata
39 protocol NCQ (Native Command Queuing)
40 So, in the grub file, i added the
41 ligne GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=libata.force=noncq
42 Now, all the errors messages are gone and the booting time gets down to 24s
43 with the two kernel versions.
44 BUT : do you think it could damage or slow down my SSD and HDD disks ?
45
46 Thanks again,
47
48 Regards,