From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: "X11 forwarding" so to say ... but for audio
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 17:00:49
1 <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
2
3 > Hi,
4 <edit>
5 > PS: <at> James: Do you know the NodeMCU Lua v3 board? ;)
6
7 Ju talkin to me? Ju talkin to me?
8 If so, sorry, had a major hardware issues where I lost a few days....
9
10 No not specifically, but that does not matter, embedded is embedded
11 and it's always broken, until you find the magic (hardware) tweaks
12 and codes that make it submissive, so let's take a walk thru your issues.
13
14 PS, I'm close on my install apparatus so when that is done I intend to
15 populate my micro Data Center with all sorts of new hardware boards
16 (get an embedded list ready).
19 > I am experimenting with microcrontrollers, dev-boards
20 > and other stuff a lot.
21 > Nowaday these "post stamps" are quite capable and often
22 > run linux of some kind.
23 > The beaglebone and the Orange PI PC are of those, even
24 > running an X11 server.
25 > X11 forwarding is quite handy in this cases...but I miss the
26 > audio.
27
28 Why not try to get (gentoo) linux running a arm64v8 board, with gigs
29 of ram and gigE and such so you can run a low power workstation from a
30 board taped (mounted) to the back of the monitor? There are many
31 and once you get gentoo installed, then choose a minimal DE like
32 lxde, xfce or lxqt? Audio and video on the same board. Here's
33 one example (not sure there is a published gentoo port, yet),
34 for less than $50::
35
36 http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/02/29/odroid-c2-64-bit-arm-development-board-is-now-available-for-purchase-for-40/
37
38 This is just an example. I'm not current atm on the latest offerings.
39 Most run debian, which is fine for now until you finish a gentoo port,
40 or find one on the IRC channel gentoo-embedded@g.o
41
42 > I am already tangled up in cables ... and dont want to add
43 > just another cable to route the audio signal to my PC.
44
45 Make sure you keep straight your 'line level' signals and the
46 boosted output signals, I test with a 3" speaker or small to make
47 sure a valid audio signal is first exiting an embedded board jack.
48 If you want a routeable audio protocol (?) You could always use midi::
49
50 http://www.instructables.com/id/Send-and-Receive-MIDI-with-Arduino/
51
52 Hit me up with private email, if you get stuck, but, I'm kinda swamped
53 right now.....
56 Some embedded boards have an RF chip for radio broadcast, that is low power,
57 so you could just broadcast to a receive and a pair of connected/powered
58 speakers, just for grins. (I have no boards doing this currently, as I have
59 way too much audio gear that is idle atm.) But that sort of arrangement will
60 need an externally powered audio amp to get the dB levels up. I know
61 one guy that just broadcasts to his home theatre hardware for SS-7
62 audio on an embedded board and just lies to his friends about how
63 he does it....(I traced out the wire and looked at the board to figure
64 it out..... Datasheets are your friend. Motorola/Freescale/<whatever they
65 call themselves> has a plethora of arm cores and robust audio chips,
66 including a full spectrum analyzer so you can specify what will end
67 up with before you build something.....
70 > Is there any other way to get the audio from the (in this case)
71 > Orange PI PC board to my PC in a way, that dont need cables
72 > and is easily reconfigurable, if I will change the board
73 > to something different?
74
75 Meino. Your best bet is do write up a spec of what you want, go to
76 the gentoo-embedded IRC channel (yuck, I hate IRC, as you know) and
77 ask for a turnkey (monkey see monkey do) low cost recommendation.
78 Or go to one of the debian embedded lists and ask for a cheap solution.
79 Also, research the Rf spectrum rules in the country you are in
80 before selecting Rf broadcast chips on a dev board, just to be legal.
81 Germany is rather 'tight assed' about this, if I recall correctly.
82 Here in the US, some TV sidebands are available for experimentation
83 as broadcasters abandon those freqs.
84
85 http://blog.rfvenue.com/more-on-the-fccs-proposed-new-rules-for-licensed-and-unlicensed-microphones/
86
87 http://www.digitaltrends.com/how-to/how-to-stream-audio-video-in-your-home/
88
89 Or you buy an embedded board that has an HDMI output and a stereo
90 output jack, you would have what you need. Some 32 bit arm boards will
91 have both of these and a minimized X11 Desktop environment will fly
92 on them, minus 3D stuff. Look at the video chip and research that it has a
93 bit of video ram with it, just to be safe. There are lots of new embedded
94 boards coming out every week, so do the latest research and make sure
95 at least debian is readily available from the hardware vendor. There is
96 some 'bait and switch' going on among the smaller players.
97
98 http://www.96boards.org/products/
101 rspi3::
102 https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-RASP-PI-3-Model-Motherboard/dp/B01CD5VC92
103
104 ** do your own research**
105
106 > Thanks a lot in advance for any help!
107 > Best regards
108 > Meino
111 hth,
112 James