From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Allow non root users to edit files owned by root?
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:46:32
1 On 2011-12-20 12:19 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > If you allow someone to edit root owned files, you're practically giving
3 > him root access.
4
5 Well, yeah, but only on those defined files...
6
7 I'm not worried about them messing up stuff in /var/www/*, but I am
8 worried about them messing up stuff in /etc
9
10 > So the fact that he doesn't know the root password is totally
11 > irrelevant; he doesn't even need the password anymore to gain root
12 > access since he already has that access.
13
14 But he only has root access in explicitly defined, non-system, non
15 critical directories...
16
17 > So you might want to rethink the way you want to allow him to edit those
18 > files.
19
20 I *want* him to be able to do whatever he wants in /var/www (and a few
21 other non critical directories)...