From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel updates
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:13:39
1 On 10/27/05, Digby Tarvin <digbyt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > The portage system seems pretty effective in keeping the user level
3 > code up to date on a gentoo system - but now that I have had my
4 > system installed for 6-7 months it has occured to me that my
5 > kernel is no longer current, and I havn't found anything in the
6 > handbook suggesting how this should be approached.
7 >
8 > Is there a recommended procedure that someone can point me to?
9
10 Updating the kernel? it's just like compiling a new one.
11
12 # cd /usr/src
13 # ln -sfn linux-new_version linux
14 # cd linux
15 # mount /boot
16 # make menuconfig
17 # make && make modules_install
18 # make install
19
20 Then make sure you re-emerge any kernel modues, e.g. alsa-driver or
21 your graphic card driver.
22
23 Finally, edit your boot loader's config files accordingly and reboot
24 your system.
25
26 One last thing tho, if there isn't any kernel bug that bothers you,
27 and there isn't any new feature you are after in the new version, you
28 don't have to upgrade your kernel.
29
30 HTH.
31
32 -- Joe
35 There are 3 kinds of people in the world:
36 Those who can count, and those who can't.
37
38 Money can't buy everything.
39 Sometimes money can't even buy a gun...
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list