From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:14:05
1 > I read something some time ago that suggested if you transfer a
2 > compressed file over a compressed SFTP connection, for example,
3 > that it
4 > would take longer to transfer the data versus if only the data or the
5 > connection was compressed. The reason, as I recall, had to do with
6 > compressing already compressed data--this apparently created some
7 > overhead on the connection.
8 >
9 > Did you look at this situation in your tests? If so, what were the
10 > results?
11 >
12 No, I see absolutely no reason to use sftp. Just scp. By default,
13 compression is off on that, unless you've modified your ssh_conf.
14 But I have heard the same thing about doubly-compressing things.
15 > --
16 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list