From: Jeff <jmg_071769@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:01:33
1 It brings me great joy to know that my original post has spawned such
2 madness.
3
4 :-)
5
6 John Jolet wrote:
7 >> I read something some time ago that suggested if you transfer a
8 >> compressed file over a compressed SFTP connection, for example, that it
9 >> would take longer to transfer the data versus if only the data or the
10 >> connection was compressed. The reason, as I recall, had to do with
11 >> compressing already compressed data--this apparently created some
12 >> overhead on the connection.
13 >>
14 >> Did you look at this situation in your tests? If so, what were the
15 >> results?
16 >>
17 > No, I see absolutely no reason to use sftp. Just scp. By default,
18 > compression is off on that, unless you've modified your ssh_conf.
19 > But I have heard the same thing about doubly-compressing things.
20 >
21 >> --
22 >> gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
27 Han Solo:
28 Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting
29 crops, boy.
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list