From: Spidey / Claudio <spideybr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Motherboard support?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 03:44:44
1 On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 00:34, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sep 29, 2011 9:51 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> On Thu 29 Sep 2011 06:42:42 AM IST, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>
10 >>>> That's debian HCL, what about Gentoo? We compile the kernel ourselves
11 >>>> man.
12 >>>> It would be better if we don't use debian/Ubuntu HCL to decide HW for
13 >>>> other distros, they're most popular ones and have lot of support from
14 >>>> hardware manufacturers, hence good support for hardware using
15 >>>> propreitary drivers which is seldom present in other distros.
16 >>>>
17 >>> I just checked that HCL:
18 >>> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Giga-byte/GA-880GM-USB3
19 >>> It seems things are supported since linux-2.6.25, we're now using 3.0.4
20 >>> and above. Should be OK right?
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> As a general rule, hardware support is in the kernel.  It shouldn't matter
24 >> much whether it is Gentoo, Redhat, Debian or any other distro.  It just
25 >> matters that the kernel supports the hardware.  I would imagine that
26 >> anything listed there as working is supported by Linux with a up to date
27 >> kernel.  It all comes down to the kernel.  By the way, the kernel tested
28 >> against is listed in the top right hand corner if I recall correctly.  You
29 >> seem to have noticed that too.  If the mobo is a new design or new chipset,
30 >> try to get at least that version of kernel.
31 >>
32 >> If it shows things are working for the mobo you are checking on, it should
33 >> work fine.  I think the 880 chipset has been out a while so it should be
34 >> really stable by now.  I seem to recall it was out when I bought my new
35 >> setup but was still getting worked on for drivers.
36 >>
37 >> By the way, it is always somewhat wise to buy things that have been out
38 >> for a while.  If you are building a spare or something to play with, then
39 >> newer stuff is fine.  I say this because some very new hardware may not have
40 >> all the kinks worked out.  Unless you really really need the latest and
41 >> greatest, pick a slightly older setup.  When I picked mine, it was about a
42 >> year old.  That is usually plenty of time to let the drivers stabilize.  It
43 >> can also save you some money too.
44 >>
45 >> Now to be nosy, how many cores and how much ram you planning to put in
46 >> this new rig?  I have a 4 core 3.2Ghz CPU with 16Gbs of ram.  Compared to my
47 >> older AMD 2500+ with 2Gbs of ram, the new rig is super fast.  My old rig was
48 >> named smoker because at the time it was built, it was smoking.  My new rig
49 >> is named fireball.  I guess lightening will be next.  After that, someone
50 >> will just have to bury me.  Not much is faster than lightening.  lol
51 >
52 > In particle physics, there are faster-than-light particles called Tachyons
53 > :-)
54 >
55 > Rgds,
58 Better spend lots of time and planning on what machine will receive
59 that name: not many more things can be expected to be faster than
60 Tachyons.