From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Motherboard support?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 04:20:06
1 Spidey / Claudio wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 00:34, Pandu Poluan<pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3 >> On Sep 29, 2011 9:51 AM, "Dale"<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> As a general rule, hardware support is in the kernel. It shouldn't matter
6 >>> much whether it is Gentoo, Redhat, Debian or any other distro. It just
7 >>> matters that the kernel supports the hardware. I would imagine that
8 >>> anything listed there as working is supported by Linux with a up to date
9 >>> kernel. It all comes down to the kernel. By the way, the kernel tested
10 >>> against is listed in the top right hand corner if I recall correctly. You
11 >>> seem to have noticed that too. If the mobo is a new design or new chipset,
12 >>> try to get at least that version of kernel.
13 >>>
14 >>> If it shows things are working for the mobo you are checking on, it should
15 >>> work fine. I think the 880 chipset has been out a while so it should be
16 >>> really stable by now. I seem to recall it was out when I bought my new
17 >>> setup but was still getting worked on for drivers.
18 >>>
19 >>> By the way, it is always somewhat wise to buy things that have been out
20 >>> for a while. If you are building a spare or something to play with, then
21 >>> newer stuff is fine. I say this because some very new hardware may not have
22 >>> all the kinks worked out. Unless you really really need the latest and
23 >>> greatest, pick a slightly older setup. When I picked mine, it was about a
24 >>> year old. That is usually plenty of time to let the drivers stabilize. It
25 >>> can also save you some money too.
26 >>>
27 >>> Now to be nosy, how many cores and how much ram you planning to put in
28 >>> this new rig? I have a 4 core 3.2Ghz CPU with 16Gbs of ram. Compared to my
29 >>> older AMD 2500+ with 2Gbs of ram, the new rig is super fast. My old rig was
30 >>> named smoker because at the time it was built, it was smoking. My new rig
31 >>> is named fireball. I guess lightening will be next. After that, someone
32 >>> will just have to bury me. Not much is faster than lightening. lol
33 >> In particle physics, there are faster-than-light particles called Tachyons
34 >> :-)
35 >>
36 >> Rgds,
37 >>
38 > Better spend lots of time and planning on what machine will receive
39 > that name: not many more things can be expected to be faster than
40 > Tachyons.
44 Dale makes note of the thing faster than light. Maybe I will get to
45 live longer now. lol I get about 7 to 8 years out of a build. So, I
46 just went from say 16 more years to say 24 or so. At my age with my
47 health, I need all the help I can get.
48
49 Dale
50