From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] File system testing
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 20:57:14
1 On 17/09/14 19:21, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > AFS has caching and can survive temporary disappearance of the server.
3 > For me, I need to be able to provide Samba filesharing on top of that
4 > layer on 2 different locations as I don't see the network bandwidth to
5 > be sufficient for normal operations. (ADSL uplinks tend to be dead
6 > slow) -- Joost
7 Riverbed wan appliances were always great for this. I would have loved
8 to see an open source version of their hash-zip-send as it worked
9 amazingly well.
10 however, from [1] you can mount.cifs with option fsc, and perhaps (sorry
11 not tried myself) then use something like cachefs to make for a
12 controlled size and location for that cache? also [2] might be of
13 interest to you
14
15 "
16 fsc Enable local disk caching using FS-Cache (off by default). This
17 option could be useful to improve performance on a slow link,
18 heavily loaded server and/or network where reading from the
19 disk is faster than reading from the server (over the network).
20 This could also impact scalability positively as the
21 number of calls to the server are reduced. However, local
22 caching is not suitable for all workloads for e.g. read-once
23 type workloads. So, you need to consider carefully your
24 workload/scenario before using this option. Currently, local
25 disk caching is functional for CIFS files opened as read-only.
26 "
29 [1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/readme/Documentation-filesystems-cifs-README
30 [2]
31 http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/centos-redhat-install-configure-cachefilesd-for-nfs/