From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] File system testing
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 18:21:42
1 On 17 September 2014 20:10:57 CEST, "Hervé Guillemet" <herve@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >Le 16/09/2014 21:07, James a écrit :
3 >>
4 >> By now many are familiar with my keen interest in clustering gentoo
5 >> systems. So, what most cluster technologies use is a distributed file
6 >> system on top of the local (HD/SDD) file system. Naturally not
7 >> all file systems, particularly the distributed file systems, have
8 >> straightforward instructions. Also, an device file system, such as
9 >> XFS and a distibuted (on top of the device file system) combination
10 >> may not work very well when paired. So a variety of testing is
11 >> something I'm researching. Eliminiation of either file system
12 >> listed below, due to Gentoo User Experience is most welcome
13 >information,
14 >> as well as tips and tricks to setting up any file system.
15 >
16 >Hi James,
17 >
18 >Have you found this document :
19 >
20 >http://hal.inria.fr/hal-00789086/PDF/a_survey_of_dfs.pdf
21 >
22 >On a related matter, I'd like to host my own file server on a dedicated
23 >box so that I can access my working files from serveral locations. I'd
24 >like it to be fast and secure, and I don't mind if the files are
25 >replicated on each workstation. What would be the better tools for this
26 >?
27
28 AFS has caching and can survive temporary disappearance of the server.
29
30 For me, I need to be able to provide Samba filesharing on top of that layer on 2 different locations as I don't see the network bandwidth to be sufficient for normal operations. (ADSL uplinks tend to be dead slow)
33 Joost
34 --
35 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.