From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: File system testing
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:05:37
1 J. Roeleveld <joost <at> antarean.org> writes:
2
3 > AFS has caching and can survive temporary disappearance of the server.
4
5 Excellent for low bandwidth connections. Most DFS have mechanisms to
6 deal with transient failures, but not as generaous on the time-scale
7 as AFS. I believe, if I recall correctly, these hi-latency, low bandwith
8 recovery mechanism keen design paramters, at least bake in the
9 CMU develop cycples, for AFS?
10
11 While attractive for your situation, these features might actually
12 be detrimental to a hi_performance distributed cluster's needs for
13 a DFS?
16 > For me, I need to be able to provide Samba filesharing on top of that
17 > layer on 2 different locations as I don't see the network bandwidth to
18 > be sufficient for normal operations. (ADSL uplinks tend to be dead slow)
19
20 Yea, I'm not going to be testing OpenAFS for my needs, unless I read
21 some compelling publish data on it's applicability to high end
22 clusters best choice as a DFS.....
23
24 It's probably great for SETI etc etc.
27 James