From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: File system testing
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 07:29:06
1 On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 09:05:09 PM James wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld <joost <at> antarean.org> writes:
3 > > AFS has caching and can survive temporary disappearance of the
4 server.
5 >
6 > Excellent for low bandwidth connections. Most DFS have mechanisms to
7 > deal with transient failures, but not as generaous on the time-scale
8 > as AFS. I believe, if I recall correctly, these hi-latency, low bandwith
9 > recovery mechanism keen design paramters, at least bake in the
10 > CMU develop cycples, for AFS?
11 >
12 > While attractive for your situation, these features might actually
13 > be detrimental to a hi_performance distributed cluster's needs for
14 > a DFS?
15
16 I tend to agree. I'm not sure how up-to-date AFS is, but from re-reading the
17 wikipedia pages, it sounds like what I need. Provided I can get it to work
18 together with Samba. I need to allow MS Windows laptops access to the
19 files on the remote location.
20
21 > > For me, I need to be able to provide Samba filesharing on top of that
22 > > layer on 2 different locations as I don't see the network bandwidth to
23 > > be sufficient for normal operations. (ADSL uplinks tend to be dead
24 slow)
25 >
26 > Yea, I'm not going to be testing OpenAFS for my needs, unless I read
27 > some compelling publish data on it's applicability to high end
28 > clusters best choice as a DFS.....
29
30 I wouldn't either.
31
32 > It's probably great for SETI etc etc.
33
34 Doubtful :)
35
36 Did you see the following wikipedia page:
37 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems
38
39 It contains a nice long list of various distributed, clustered,.... filesystems.
40 I just miss an indication on how well these are still supported and on which
41 OSs these (can) work.
44 Joost