From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /boot/grub and grub2 directories
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 17:58:36
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 04/12/2021 15:53, Dale wrote:
3 >> While I'm at it.  When the grub package upgrades, should I reinstall
4 >> with grub-install to update what is on the drive or is it safe to just
5 >> leave it as is?  I seem to recall a upgrade to grub a while back.  It
6 >> just dawned on me that while the package is updated, what is installed
7 >> on the hard drive boot part with grub-install is still the original from
8 >> ages ago when I first built this rig.  Thoughts??
9 >
10 > I don't think I've ever updated what's in the mbr. It doesn't really
11 > matter in that it just hands over to the real linux and root. I think
12 > it would be rather hard to compromise, and anyway if anything has got
13 > so far as to tamper with your boot, I think the game is over anyway.
14 >
15 > Most changes of any consequence will be to the user-space code anyway,
16 > not the actual boot stuff.
17 >
18 > Cheers,
19 > Wol
24 That info is very helpful.  I sort of figured that if there was a major
25 change, we would see some sort of message about needing to reinstall
26 before rebooting.
27
28 Thanks much.
29