From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /boot/grub and grub2 directories
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 17:49:15
1 On 04/12/2021 15:53, Dale wrote:
2 > While I'm at it.  When the grub package upgrades, should I reinstall
3 > with grub-install to update what is on the drive or is it safe to just
4 > leave it as is?  I seem to recall a upgrade to grub a while back.  It
5 > just dawned on me that while the package is updated, what is installed
6 > on the hard drive boot part with grub-install is still the original from
7 > ages ago when I first built this rig.  Thoughts??
8
9 I don't think I've ever updated what's in the mbr. It doesn't really
10 matter in that it just hands over to the real linux and root. I think it
11 would be rather hard to compromise, and anyway if anything has got so
12 far as to tamper with your boot, I think the game is over anyway.
13
14 Most changes of any consequence will be to the user-space code anyway,
15 not the actual boot stuff.
16
17 Cheers,
18 Wol