From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /boot/grub and grub2 directories
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 15:54:30
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 23:26:29 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I was cleaning out my /boot directory.  It's on its own partition and I
5 >> remove outdated kernels and configs etc every once in a while. I was
6 >> noticing that I have two grub directories.  Based on time stamps, I
7 >> think I can delete the plain grub directory and I'm pretty much certain
8 >> grub2 is the current and active grub directory.  Is it safe to remove
9 >> the old grub directory?  Nothing in it has been touched that the time
10 >> stamps show in a long while.  The grub2 directory was when I did my last
11 >> kernel update.
12 >>
13 >> I just want to be certain before I remove the directory.  More info
14 >> below.
15 > Yes, but to be on the safe side, rename it rather than removing it. GRUB
16 > will look in either /boot/grub or /boot/grub2, from your setup it looks
17 > like it goes for grub2 first.
22 That's a good idea.  I used equery f grub to see what grub installed
23 where but it showed nothing at all for /boot.  I figure grub-install
24 puts all the needed files in /boot but I wasn't sure how to get it to
25 list where it put them.  The file isn't a script so I can't just peek
26 into the file and see what it does.
27
28 While I'm at it.  When the grub package upgrades, should I reinstall
29 with grub-install to update what is on the drive or is it safe to just
30 leave it as is?  I seem to recall a upgrade to grub a while back.  It
31 just dawned on me that while the package is updated, what is installed
32 on the hard drive boot part with grub-install is still the original from
33 ages ago when I first built this rig.  Thoughts??
34
35 Dale
36